top of page
  • Bliss Interiors

What is Permitted Development?

Updated: Mar 16, 2020

If you're thinking about a smaller extension for something like a bathroom, kitchen or utility, you may be interested to learn about Permitted Development. There are certain types of renovation and extension work that you can carry out on your home without the need for planning permission. These works are under the banner of "Permitted Development rights".

Permitted Development rights come from Parliament, rather than the local authority, but vary between houses, flats and commercial property.

There are also some limits to permitted development, if, like many people in Limpsfield for example, you live in a listed building, in a conservation area, national park or area of outstanding beauty.

If you live in these areas, you will need to apply for planning permission for certain works, even though they come under permitted development in other areas.

Some common renovations projects that may meet all of the Permitted Development rules are:

  • Dormer window roof extension (popular in bungalow conversions)

  • Rear extension (for things like utility rooms and kitchens) that are less than 3m in depth

  • Side extensions (bathrooms, utilities etc)

  • Roof light on front roof slope

  • Hip to gable loft conversions (replacing the sloping roof with a vertical wall at the end to the same height as the ridge)

If you’d like further clarification or want to know whether your plans might come under Permitted Development, then please give us a call.

50 views0 comments
bottom of page